SAFTD Defensive Handgun 1
“Defensive Handgun 1” course is to provide the student with a solid foundation in basic knowledge of handgun safety, various types of handgun holsters and carry devices, an understanding of defensive ammunition and how it functions, shooting fundamentals and an introduction to defensive shooting skills. You will NOT draw from concealment in this class.You MUST provide your own defensive handgun, ammunition, hearing and sight protection. You MUST be proficient to the point you can hit a silhouette target at 7 yards. If you do not meet any of these requirements you be asked to leave the class.A number of topics will be covered in “Defensive Handgun 1 – Introduction to the Defensive Use of a Handgun”. These include but are not limited to:
- Safe Handling, Storage of your firearm and ammunition.
- Basic components of a Double Action Revolver.
- Basic components of a Semi-Automatic Pistol
- Operation of a Double– Action Revolver
- Operation of a Single and a Double Action Semi-Automatic Pistol.
- Working With A Natural Defensive Stance
- 2-Handed and Single Handed Engagements
- Integrating The Color Code Into Your Life
- Finding Your Balance of Speed and Precision
- Clearing Common Pistol Stoppages
- Progressive Shooting Drills
- Definition of Cover and Concealment
- Use of Cover
- Selecting a Pistol and Ammunition
- SUL PositionDual
- A modern, serviceable, center-fire handgun (Semi-automatic Highly Recommended)
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred).
- We recommend against pocket guns such as Keltec PF9, Ruger LCP etc.
- Semi-Automatic Pistol or Double Action Revolver .38 special or 9mm or above.
- 200 Rounds of Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo such as RIP ammo etc.
- Two extra functional magazines (semi-autos) or speed-loaders (revolvers) you may wear a magazine holster.
- Dual Magazine carrier optional but HIGHLY recommended.
- Comfortable clothing
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Shoes – comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Long Pants, Shirt With Higher Collar
- Sturdy Belt
- Baseball Cap
Course length is a full day, typically 8 hours including a 30mon-hour lunch break we provide lunch. There are short breaks throughout both the classroom session and shooting range drills.